Thursday, February 28, 2008

Have been to fertility clinic for consultation about donor insemination

So yesterday I went to my consultation at a fertility clinic. I tried to choose the most well-known and reputable one I could - ACU.
As a result it was very geared up towards ordinary couples, apparently they don't get many single women, and certainly not many my age. There is another clinic in London which seems to aimed at more lesbian and single women, but I did not find out about this until after I had made my appointment - LWC.
Anyway, they were friendly and helpful, and as expected I was asked questions like:
"Does the child not need a father in its life?" My answer - "Yes, in ideal circumstances. Having a child by myself is not my ideal circumstance. But in my opinion no father is preferable to an abusive or chronically alcoholic one." (Which is what my child would have gotten had I had children in previous relationships).
And "What if a future relationship changes things?" My answer - "I don't see my situation as any different from someone who had had a child in a relationship which had broken down, and then started dating again. If anything, I am at an advantage compared with that - as there will be no ex-partner interfering (in this future possible relationship).

I must have passed the test as they have sent their bumph off to my GP to arrange for me to have various tests (the usual gamut of STD and blood tests - also hormone tests - not sure what they are yet). I also have to have counselling with their recommend counsellor - that will be interesting. Then I will have to go and have my uterus etc x-rayed and check all is in working order before going on a waiting list for the sperm. My procedure will be very straightforward, it won't be IVF or anything complex like that.

At the moment I am thinking about using UK sperm, there will be a six month waiting list for my requirements (brown eyed, brown hair, average height). But that is fine as I am not planning of having the kid in the next few months. They can import sperm from the US with a much shorter waiting list but of course that is expensive, and as I said I am in no terrible rush.


I have given up on the idea of coparenting with a gay guy. I think I could only accept black or white, not a grey area; i.e. I would like a child within a marriage with full legal recourse should things go wrong OR a child by myself.
I was also thinking of asking a friend who I have known for twelve years if he would be a known donor for me as he fulfils all the criteria I would like (physical attributes, intelligent, a nice person), but have decided against that as I think, knowing him as I do, that he would probably want to get involved in the child's life after it was born, even if we had previously agreed that he would not. And before you ask - why aren't I dating this guy - we have very different lives, and it would not work (or short answer - he is skint).


Going to start reading up on donor conception and its consequences now.

No comments: