Sunday, February 10, 2008

"Getting to know" process

Well, just after Christmas, I started exchanging emails with a gay guy who is also interested in having a child. I found him on a website where you can place/ read ads for people interested in finding sperm donors, or known donors, or possible co-parents.

We both have quite a few things in common - we are less than a year apart in age, live about 15 miles apart, have both lived overseas for several years, are both doing well financially. He is also quite hot and I'm sure if he was straight some canny female would have snapped him up years ago. He also feels strongly that he would like to be a parent, and has actively been seeking a woman/ female couple to have a child with for a few years now.

All seems promising so far! We have met just once so far - it would be preferable to meet up more regularly and get to know eachother more quickly. We both agree that it would be ideal to spend around a year "getting to know" eachother before making any plans. But this process is not going well so far as he always seems to be having some kind of minor crisis so we don't end up meeting.

If he was a straight guy I was dating I would immediately apply the rules contained within "He's just not that into you" (my dating bible) and stop contacting him; but as that is not the case, I guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt. Having said that, someone who is always having minor crises in their life (however genuine those crises may be) may not be a good potential father candidate for my child.

A friend who reads this blog suggested to me that I should at least investigate having my eggs harvested so I can have fertility treatment later on, when I do find Mr Right. That sounds pretty expensive to me (not to mention that I would like the child in the next year or two, not in ten years or more time), but I think I will at least try to find out a ball-park figure so I can decide whether that is a possible option or not too.

No comments: